There are times in a story where the hero or heroine (usually a kid or teenage hero) can express his or her playful side. This is basically the positive alternative to having a breakdown. The hero, or someone the hero loves, can do something playful to another, usually to let out his stress, cheer someone up, ensure they feel comfortable, flirt with a love interest, simply do it for fun, or give someone encouragement and propel him on his journey. This can also be used to help cope with stressful, overwhelming, or in some instances, traumatic events. Even a very serious hero or anti-hero, in some cases, can be playful with another person.
- Mufasa plays around with Simba to give him encouragement.
- Riley Anderson constantly plays around with her parents, which has created Goofball Island in her mind.
- The Cat in the Hat balances on a ball while he sings to teach Conrad and Sally how to have fun.
- As Anais complains about being a kid, the Watterson family begins playing with her cheeks, which momentarily makes her forget about her troubles.
- Nani tickles Lilo as she cheers her up after their argument, then blows a raspberry on her cheek when she leaves for work.
- Kenai wiggles Koda while he was riding on his back at the mountain, talking about having a fat head.
- Baloo teaches Mowgli the playful art of fighting like a bear, later Mowgli climbs on Baloo's buttocks and then tickles him.
- Fievel Mousekewitz tickles Tiger, while he was on his back.
- Dean Winchester joins Scooby-Doo and Shaggy in making tall sandwiches and stuffing them in their mouths.
|“||Come back here, you little monkey!||„|
|~ Bill Anderson chasing baby Riley with a towel.|
|“||Come here, you!||„|
|~ Mufasa playfully giving Simba a noogie after lecturing his son.|
|“||Hey kid, you need help. And Ol' Baloo's gonna learn you to fight like a bear. Now come on, I'm gonna show ya.||„|
|~ Baloo teaching Mowgli his playful art of fighting like a bear.|
|“||I still think being a kid is worse. (Nicole: Sure, sweetie. How do you cope with all those short days and long holidays? It must be so tough.) Well, at least my generation didn't turn the economy and the planet. The house that I'll never be able to afford will be underwater anyway. (Richard: Oh, pumpkin, an underwater house is called a submarine— because it's shaped like a sandwich.) [grunts in anger] (Richard, squeezing Anais' cheek: Don't be grumpy. [continues squeezing the cheek] Oh, this is really satisfying.) (Gumball: Ooh, let me try! [joins in on the cheek-squeezing] Oh yeah, that is nice! Mom, come try this.) (Nicole joins in on the cheek-squeezing: Oh, you're right. It's like a massage for my fingers.) (Darwin, joins in on the cheek-squeezing: Oh yeah! It's like a gummy peach!) Is it really that nice? [joins in on the cheek-squeezing] Oh, yeah. [suddenly remembers what she was talking about before] Wait! Get your hands off my face!)||„|
|~ As Anais complains about being a kid, the Watterson family begins playing with her cheeks, which momentarily makes her forget about her troubles.|
|“||(Kenai was walking down the mountain with Koda riding on his back.) So, you recognize anything yet? Or maybe you can't see past my fathead. (He and Koda laugh.) So, do you really think I have a fathead? (Koda: Well, if you hunched your shoulders a little, it wouldn't seem so big.) Oh, you mean like this? (wiggles Koda, and Koda laughs) Or like this? Ha-ha! How about this? (starts wiggling Koda up and down on his back like a horse, and they both laugh.)||„|
|~ Kenai wiggling Koda while he was riding on his back down the mountain.|
|“||(Shaggy: You know what that means?) (Scooby-Doo: Uh huh.) (Both: Road Food! [assemble tall sandwiches to Dean's delight]) (Dean: Oh, heck yes! [assembles a tall sandwich and stuffs it in his mouth alongside Scooby-Doo and Shaggy.] Sam! Sam! Look how big my mouth is!)||„|
|~ Dean Winchester joins Scooby-Doo and Shaggy in making tall sandwiches and stuffing them in their mouths.|
|“||Well, serves you right spoiling people's best dreams.||„|
|~ Cinderella after playfully catching one the birds for trying to wake her up.|
|“||(Tiger, singing: Any time you're feeling glum/count on me to be a chum.) (Fievel sings while climbing behind Tiger.) If you got an itch attack/I'll be there to scratch your back! (Tiger, singing: Now, who could have ever ask for more? Ore-ore-ore...(Fievel tickles Tiger, then he laughs.) No, stop! Stop! No, don't stop. More, more!||„|
|~ Fievel Mousekewitz playfully tickling Tiger during their musical number "A Duo".|