Don't be fooled with people whom seemingly possesses mild temper, as certain insult turned out causing them releasing an apocalyptic and fiery temper no matter how good they able to maintain the composures!
Berserk Button is the term about the part of an individual's personality where they would lashed out (usually violently) should proper insult inflicted on them. It doesn't matter how good they maintain their temper, as there would be some limitations in the situation where they need to maintain their patience or composure over the situation that potentially provoke them to release their anger. The trigger for them to release their wrath could be anything, from weight issues, family, or even something that looked trivial in your point of view.
Once triggered, they would instantly goes ballistic, flying into a screaming, frothing, sometimes apocalyptic wrath where should his ballistic rage was on extreme level, it would be wise to stay out of his/her way until his/her mood swings surpass where it's safe to apologizing.
Sometimes, the hero or someone the hero loves can hit his or her berserk button to break down a door, fight the villain, or give that person courage. Or, when the antagonist hurts the hero, usually by insulting or tormenting him, that can lead to hitting it.
- Don't call Alvin and Simon's brother Theodore the fatty ratty, or they'll go all beat you into pulp.
- Marty McFly insists, "Nobody... calls me... chicken!" - a behavior he only starts to exhibit in the second film when standing up to Griff Tannen.
- In Space Jam, Lola Bunny goes into a basket-busting frenzy whenever anyone calls her "Doll."
- In 2002's Spider-Man film, during his Villainous Breakdown, Green Goblin recklessly hits Peter/Spidey's Berserk Button as he lashed out on the hero when he says exactly what he's gonna do to Mary-Jane after he kills Peter in retaliation of failed to have him forced to watch either MJ or a trolley of children died in front of him, which turned out to be his undoing.
- Never, ever, ever insult Harry Potter's deceased parents or it won't end well for you.
- Luke's Berserk Button is turned out to be his revealed sister Leia, who is the only family he has left: When he is trying to keep his anger in check to avoid falling to The Dark Side in the fight against his fallen father Vader, Vader threatens to convince her to the Dark Side should he never embrace The Dark Side. As result, Luke ended up retaliate by cutting the fallen Jedi's arm and left him on his mercy.
- Francis is a male ladybug who doesn't take kindly to people assuming all ladybugs are female. The fact that his name is gender-neutral doesn't help.
- Iago really didn't like playing the part of the dumb animal for one particular reason. "Polly want a cracker?"
- Disgust hits Anger's berserk button so he can burn a hole in the window so Joy and Sadness can climb inside and save Riley.
- Don't ever call Edward Eric shorty or else.
|“||(Aunt Petunia, to Harry: We are blown up with you.) (Harry Potter: Blown up? You told me my parents died in a car crash.) A car crash?! A CAR CRASH killed Lily and James Potter?! It's an outrage! It's a SCANDAL! (Uncle Vernon: He'll NOT be going.) Oh-ho-ho. And I suppose a great muggle like yourself's gonna stop him, are you? (Harry Potter: "Muggle?") Non-magic folk. This boy's had his name down ever since you were born! (Dudley munches on a cake.) He's going to the finest school of witchcraft and wizardry in the world AND he'll be under the FINEST headmaster that Hogwarts has ever seen, Albus Dumbledore. (Uncle Vernon: I will NOT pay to have some crackpot old fool teach him magic tricks!) (Hagrid glares at Vernon and pulls out his umbrella. He breathes fire.) Never. Insult Albus Dumbledore in front of me. (Hagrid notices Dudley eating the cake and levels his umbrella at his bottom, firing a bolt. Suddenly, a curly pig's tail pops out of Dudley's pants! Dudley hops around, yowling with pain. His parents scream in fright. Harry laughs with delight, and the Dursleys drag their son away, running out the door terrified.)||„|
|~ Hagrid's berserk button when Uncle Vernon insults Hogwart's headmaster, Albus Dumbledore.|
|“||(SpongeBob SquarePants: You're going down, tubby!) (Patrick starts to tear) Tubby? (Patrick's sadness is quickly replaced by fury and he growls with rage.) NOBODY CALLS ME TUBBY!||„|
|~ Patrick Star after SpongeBob SquarePants hits his berserk button as he practices his tough guy attitude to get into the Salty Spitoon.|
|“||(When Gaston and the mob sneak into the castle, LeFou notices Mrs. Potts and Chip.) (LeFou: Well, hello there. You must be the talking teacup.) (He turns to Mrs. Potts.) (LeFou: And YOU must be his grandmother.) (As soon as she hears this, Mrs. Potts wakes up with a gasp.) GRANDMOTHER?! ATTACK! (That is when the objects spring to life and attack the villagers.)||„|
|~ Mrs. Potts in the 2017 Beauty and the Beast leading the charge against the mob after LeFou hits her berserk button by insulting her.|
|“||(Lola Bunny is about to reach the hoop when the Monstars block her path.) (Monstar Pound: Try and get by me, doll.) "Doll?" (With that, Lola scurries up the brute's face and dunks her ball into the hoop, then walks off.) (curtly) Don't ever call me "doll."||„|
|~ Lola Bunny shooting a basket after the Monstars make fun of her.|
|“||If you'll excuse me, I need to get off this drunken tub. (Captain Haddock, fuming: Tu-TUB?!) (With that, Haddock lunges and punches a thug in the face, knocking him out cold.)||„|
|~ Tintin hitting Captain Haddock's berserk button to get him to help him escape Sakharine's boat.|
|“||SHUT UP! SHUT UP!!!||„|
|~ Harry Potter's berserk button when Aunt Marge insults his dead parents|
|“||(Fly #1: Hey, cutie! Wanna pollinate with a real bug?) (Francis flutters up as the flies keep flirting. Then...) So, bein' a ladybug automatically makes me a GIRL! Is that it, flyboy, huh?! (Fly #1: YIKES!) (Fly #2: She's a GUY!) (Heimlich: Francis, leave them alone! They are poo-poo heads!) (P.T. Flea: Not again!) Judgin' by your breath, you must've been buzzin' around a dung heap all day! (Slim: C'mon, Francis, you're making the maggots cry.) (Cut to another fly trying to shush her wailing maggots) Anytime, pal! I'm gonna pick the hairs out of your head, one by one! (Fly #1: Take your best shot!) You name the play! (Fly #2: Oh, YEAH?!) Yeah, 'cause when you get there, YOU ARE DEAD!) (Francis raises his fist to punch the flies; Slim grabs him and holds him aside) (Slim: Francis, let me handle this. (aside to the flies) That's no way to speak to a lady.) I HEARD THAT, YOU TWIG!||„|
|~ Francis pissed off for constantly being mistaken for a lady and gets into a fierce argument with some flies.|