A recurring theme in many a story, usually fantasy, science fiction, and horror films, there is a time when the hero or heroine has to stand up against a monstrous creature. He or she does this for these reasons:
- To protect himself
- To save someone (usually a damsel in distress, his family and friends, or someone he/she loves)
- To save his homeland
- For glory and/or honor
The most common image of fighting a beast is a knight facing a fire-breathing dragon to rescue a princess.
- Hercules fights the multi-headed Hydra.
- Luke Skywalker fights Jabba's Rancor.
- Metroplex fights Trypticon.
- Robert Smith (South Park) fights with the help of The Boys of South Park Mecha-Streisand from destroying South Park.
- Rexy and the raptors fight the I-Rex.
- Bambi kills one of Man's dogs, kick him and making fall on The mountain.
- Saitama fighting Carnage Kabuto
- Harry Potter fights the Basilisk in the Chamber of Secrets
- Ron Weasley and Harry Potter battle the Mountain Troll
- Neville Longbottom kills Nagini the Snake
- Hermione Granger and Harry Potter battle Nagini at Godric's Hollow
- Giselle fights Queen Narissa to save Robert Phillips.
- Prince Phillips fights and slays Maleficent in her dragon form.
- Danny Phantom fights Prince Aragon in his dragon form.
- Wolf Predator fights Predalien on top of the rooftop.
- Godzilla fights M.U.T.O.
- Spike stands up to Scar Snout to protect the Rugrats Gang.