|“||GET OUT OF MY FRIEND, GHOST!||„|
|~ Patty giving Abby a wallop to free her from Rowan North's possession.|
In any story (usually horror, science fiction or fantasy), the protagonist or someone he or she loves gets possessed by an entity (usually a witch, sorcerer, ghost, demon, alien, or other malevolent force). This is when someone has to free that person from the entity's possession, especially when it comes to saving that character from falling into the villain's clutches, removing the demon inside, or liberating him or her from the antagonist's thrall.
- Kaa hypnotizes Mowgli and is about to eat him when Bagheera notices this and gives the snake a smack on the jaw, freeing the boy.
- Rowan North, in ghost form, possesses Abby, who is about to throw Jillian out the window. Patty arrives in the nick of time to tackle Abby and give her a sharp slap across the face, freeing her from the demon inside.
- Harry Potter gets possessed by Lord Voldemort, but he is freed by love and friendship.
- Scuttle yanks off the shell necklace on Ursula/Vanessa's neck, causing it to break on the deck, giving Ariel her voice back and freeing Prince Eric from the sea witch's possession.
- Karai gets brainwashed from the Shredder by using a brain worm, Leonardo tries to help her to fight it off but failed, however Master Splinter uses his healing hand technique to free her from the Shredder's control.
- Shanti is hypnotized and about to be devoured by Kaa when Ranjan pulls her away and attacks the snake to free his friend.
- Aladdin smashes Jafar's staff on the floor to free the Sultan from the sorcerer's power.
- Kubo is possessed by the Garden of Eyes, but just as he's about to float into its maw, Beetle is able to blind the monster and free him.
- Ash is possessed by the villainous King of Pokélantis. However, Pikachu was able to hear Ash's voice and zapped him with his thunderbolt attack, freeing him in the process.
- Vida Rocca gets possessed and turned into a vampire by Necrolai, but Chip was able to remind her who she was and broke the spell.
- Ginevra Weasley gets herself possessed by Tom Riddle's diary and was forced to open the chamber of secrets. However, Harry Potter was able to destroy the diary with the Basilisk fang and free her.
- Darkwing Duck, Binkie Muddlefoot, Honker Muddlefoot and Launchpad McQuack are possessed by the Brainteasers, but Gosalyn Mallard manages to free them all.
- Gohan, Goten and Trunks are infected by Baby. However, Kibito Kai uses the sacred water to free them from Baby's mind control.
- Vegeta becomes possessed by Baby and was turned into a Tuffle in order to accomplish his plan for revenge. However, when Goku became a Super Saiyan 4, Baby lost full control of Vegeta when Goku blasted off his tail.
- Optimus Prime frees himself from being reprogrammed as Nemesis Prime when Bumblebee now talks.